- PDT has no long-term side-effects
- It is less invasive than surgery
- Treatment is quick done as an outpatient
- It can be very precisely targeted
- Rapid wound recovery – little or no scarring
- Costs substantially less than other treatments
- Particularly effective in early stage cancers
- Used in combination with other treatments
- Does not compromise the immune system
- Primes the immune system
Important advancements include:
- Selective targeting for cancer cells as opposed to healthy cells
- Small molecular size for topical application
- Minimal off-target toxicity
- Dual diagnostic and treatment agents
- Non-toxic drugs in the absence of light activation at specific wavelengths
- Rapid take-up in cancer cells, reducing the exposure time to the drug and speeding up light-based treatment times
- Not activated by sunlight, minimising patient impact
By using light-based treatment, our new phototherapeutic drugs target the particular and desired body sites, using simple delivery systems, enabling rapid treatment and ensuing cell death of specific cells and tissues.
We are building relationships with clinicians working in the oral cancer and phototherapeutic areas to ensure that our ongoing development programme keeps patients at the heart of everything we do, while ensuring that our novel treatment ass are simple and user-friendly as possible for both clinicians to use and patients to experience.
We are actively seeking new partners in the area of Head and Neck cancer especially those who have experience working with Photodynamic Therapies.